Adi Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd is committed to the principles of equality and diversity. We aim to ensure that all persons, irrespective of gender, age, sexual orientation, gender-identity, disability, race or ethnic origin, or religion / belief have a genuine and equal opportunity to work with and in association with the Company and to avail of the services of the Company. We aim to promote a supportive and inclusive culture for all of our employees, business associates and clients.
Adi Associates aims to ensure that no job applicant, employee, business associate or client experiences less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, sexual orientation, gender-identity, disability, race or ethnic origin, or religion / belief. We believe that the Company will maximise its efficiency and creativity, and deliver greater service, by promoting and integrating the individual strengths of its employees, business associates and clients.
What is equality?
Equality is the situation where the rights, responsibilities and opportunities offered to persons is not determined by their gender, age, sexual orientation, gender-identity, disability, race or ethnic origin, or religion / belief. The equal treatment of persons means the absence of discrimination, whether direct or indirect, on grounds of gender, age, sexual orientation, gender-identity, disability, race or ethnic origin, or religion / belief. Equality implies equal access to opportunities by focusing on a person’s capabilities irrespective of their status.
Direct discrimination occurs where a person is treated less favourably than another person in a comparable situation. Indirect discrimination is taken to occur where an apparently neutral provision, criterion or practice puts a person at a particular disadvantage compared with other persons (unless that provision, criterion or practice is objectively justified by a legitimate aim and the means of achieving that aim are appropriate and necessary).
Harassment is considered to constitute discrimination when it takes place with the purpose or effect of violating the dignity of a person and of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.
Adi Associates is required by law not to discriminate against its employees or its clients. The Company recognises its legal obligations under and will abide by the requirements of:
- Cap 456 – Equality for Men and Women Act 2003;
- Legal Notice 85 of 2007 – Equal Treatment of Persons Order; and
- Legal Notice 181 of 2008 – Access to Goods and Services and their Supply (Equal Treatment) Regulations.
Recruitment and employment
In recognition of our commitment to equality and diversity, Adi Associates’ code for recruitment is based on the following four principles:
- Principle 1 – appointments should be made on merit;
- Principle 2 – appointment process should be fit for purpose;
- Principle 3 – appointment process should be fair and applied with consistency; and
- Principle 4 – appointments should be made in an open, accountable and transparent manner.
Focussing on merit as the core principle of recruitment to the Company allows us to embrace issues of equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusivity in the recruitment process. Adi Associates wholly opposes any form of unlawful discrimination, direct or indirect, active or passive, and ensures to treat all candidates fairly, to a consistent standard and in a consistent manner.
Adi Associates believes that the confidence of candidates is enhanced by the transparency and openness of the manner with which the Company deals with candidates at all stages of the recruitment process.
All employees with any involvement in managing the recruitment and selection of new staff are required to ensure they have a full appreciation of the Recruitment Code and how the principles should be translated into operational practices. In addition, all employees involved in the management of recruitment and selection must ensure that they are aware of the implications of anti-discrimination legislation in respect of age, gender, sexual orientation, gender-identity, disability, race or ethnic origin, and religion / belief.
In its employment practices, the Company works to ensure that employees, business associates and clients are:
- Treated fairly and without discrimination during their employment, commencing with the recruitment process, and have access to promotions when available based on merit;
- Fairly appraised and rewarded for personal contributions to the Company, taking into account internal and external comparisons and affordability;
- Able to work in a healthy and safe environment free from hazards;
- Able to access opportunities for training and development to develop to their full potential;
- Supported in balancing work and home life commitments and have requests considered objectively; and
- Treated with dignity and respect in a fair and consistent manner in an environment where inappropriate behaviour is not acceptable.
Roles and responsibilities
The following responsibilities apply in relation to this Equality Policy:
- Equality Representative and Directors: responsible for ensuring that this Equality Policy is implemented, and for ensuring that breaches of the Policy are dealt with appropriately. It is the responsibility of the Equality Representative and the Directors to ensure that all employees, business associates and clients are made aware of the Company’s Equality Policy. It is also the responsibility of the Equality Representative and the Directors to monitor and review the Policy.
- Employees: have a responsibility to respect, act in accordance with, and thereby support and promote the spirit and intentions of the Policy. It is the responsibility of all Adi Associates employees to be aware of the Company’s Equality Policy.
- Business associates: have a responsibility to respect, act in accordance with, and thereby support and promote the spirit and intentions of the Policy. It is the responsibility of all Adi Associates business associates to be aware of the Company’s Equality Policy.
- Clients: have a responsibility to respect, act in accordance with, and thereby support and promote the spirit and intentions of the Policy. It is the responsibility of all Adi Associates clients to make themselves aware of the Company’s Equality Policy.
Disciplinary and grievance procedures
To safeguard individual rights under this Equality Policy, Adi Associates encourages employees, business associates and clients who believe that they have suffered inequitable treatment within the scope of the Policy to raise the matter through the appropriate grievance procedure – either the employee grievance procedure or the statutory procedures set down under the equality legislation.
Any individual may raise any grievance and no employee, business associate or client will be penalised for doing so, unless it is subsequently discovered that the grievance was without foundation and was not made in good faith.
Monitoring, evaluation and review
Adi Associates’ commitment to equality and diversity is an active one. We will regularly monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of this Equality Policy, will seek to keep up to date with new developments in equality and diversity practice, and will actively seek information on this issue.
As part of our active commitment to equality and diversity, the Equality Policy will be reviewed every two years, or more regularly as the need arises, to ensure that it remains relevant and effective.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this Equality Policy, please contact Adi Associates’ Equality Representative.
We declare that Adi Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd will implement this Policy and will make every effort to ensure that equality and diversity is promoted and prioritised in relation to employees and the workplace, as well as in all our dealings with our business associates and clients.